Sunday, August 10, 2008

Surgery

So, the Sunday before surgery I had to start a bowel prep and liquid diet. I drank some nasty crap and took a super dose of laxative and the next day and a half were not pretty. In retrospect, it wasn't so bad compared to what was to come.

So, we had to be at the hospital at 5:45am. Yeah, I know. My dad and Sue had to leave even earlier than we did to get down there and I know they had a longer day than I did since I was knocked out for most of it.

We got to the hospital and checked in. Then they moved us upstairs where I changed into my fancy hospital gown and waited for the anesthesiologist. He arrived and put in an IV. Here I am having it done.

He was pretty good - only had to try twice. He told me he would take care of me and made me sign away my life on another consent form.

My dad had fun taking pictures of me in my little outfit. Here's another one:

Finally, it was time to say goodbye to my husband and my dad and Sue, and I was off to the OR. They put me on a table that was very awkward, with my head and legs hanging down. The oxygen mask that they use basically breathes for you. It blows in air and stops, blows in air and stops, etc. You are basically forced to breathe at that pace. When I was used to it, they administered the anesthesia, and I was OUT.

No comments: