Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Kidney Scare

The endocrinologist told me to continue to take my Enalapril Maleate up to the day of surgery. I did. Apparently, I should have been off of it for awhile before the surgery. As a result, my kidneys were struggling to keep up with what they needed to do.

Before I knew what was happening, the Renal Team came to visit me, and told me there was something wrong. They did a bunch of tests, including a blood gas, which is always fun. My friend Cathy stopped by the hospital to visit just as I was being taken down to have an ultrasound on my kidneys to see if they were blocked.

The ultrasound was negative, and the doctors decided it was all because of the medication, but wanted to keep me in the hospital a little longer. I was supposed to go home on Friday, but Thursday my blood work was still off, and they wanted to wait until it came down. Honestly, I was glad because I was still unable to move around much by myself.

In another couple of days, my kidneys started going back to normal, and they took out my urinary catheter. Yay! that I didn't have a tube in my hoo anymore, but now I needed to get out of bed to pee and um, I was too sore and swollen to wipe myself. Fun.

No comments: