Monday, October 27, 2008

When diabetes and gastric bypass meet...

Sometimes it ain't pretty. Before surgery, I was really worried about what would happen if my bloodsugar went low and I couldn't physically eat enough sugar to bring it up. So far, sticking to juice and fruit has worked perfectly.

Fast forward to Saturday night - we're having a party at our house. I ordered cupcakes and cookies from the bakery and swore them off the whole time. Then my bloodsugar dropped pretty low, and without thinking, I grabbed a few cookies and inhaled them.

Then I started to POUR sweat. It was as if I were melting.

Then I started to feel like I was going to die. I stood up and my legs were so weak I could barely make it up the stairs.

Then I threw up over and over and over.

I think I was even throwing up in my sleep.

That was my first (and hopefully last) experience with the Dumping Syndrome (google it.). No sweets for this gal anymore!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream. This type of hypoglycemia is referred to as "alimentary hypoglycemia"."

Good thing your beta cells in your pancreas are not working and the above doesn't happen :)

If you need to up your blood sugar stick to those juices or rub honey on your gums. You're surrounded by nerds, we won't let anything happen to you!